Are you looking for Independent pharmacy Marketing Ideas? We hear this question all the time “What’s the future of brick and mortar pharmacies? Should I still spend the time marketing my pharmacy?” With so many new players in the pharmacy industry, it can be hard to stand out. However, more than 85% of adults still prefer to get their prescriptions locally instead of a mail order service. So yes, pharmacy marketing is still needed for brick and mortar pharmacies.
So even with the rise in e-commerce players like Amazon, the brick and mortar pharmacies are still doing well. In fact, the number of independent pharmacies is rising more than on the decline. With new pharmacies popping up in every town, the competition to drive foot traffic and phone calls is fierce.
It’s time to stand out and start marketing your pharmacy with some simple pharmacy marketing ideas.
Pharmacy marketing is an effective and powerful tool when it comes to getting new customers. It’s important that you have an engaging, creative campaign for the right people who need helpful information about your product or services.
- 1 What are the best pharmacy marketing ideas to grow your business?
- 1.1 1. Create a brand that builds trust in your patients.
- 1.2 2. Host a local community event at your pharmacy
- 1.3 3. Encourage your patients to leave positive reviews on Google
- 1.4 4. Host a wellness clinic
- 1.5 5. Use Google Ads to increase traffic
- 1.6 6. Sell local vendor items in your pharmacy
- 1.7 7. Have a great indoor and outdoor design
- 1.8 8. Partnering with the DMV or other long line businesses
- 1.9 9. Get out to visit the prescriber offices!
- 1.10 10. Think about dispensing virtually
- 1.11 11. Dedicate the time to social media
- 2 Summary:
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 220.127.116.11 1. What is the great way to market your pharmacy?
- 18.104.22.168 2. Which is the best pharmacy marketing idea to grow your business?
- 22.214.171.124 3. Is marketing yourself the best way to grow your pharmacy?
- 126.96.36.199 4. How is Pharmacy Marketing helpful to doctors ?
- 188.8.131.52 5. Can my existing customers help in marketing my pharmacy?
- 184.108.40.206 6. What kind of advertisements are the best option to reach local customers?
What are the best pharmacy marketing ideas to grow your business?
These are the 11 best pharmacy marketing ideas you can use to increase your business:
- Create a brand that builds trust in your patients.
- Host a local community event at your pharmacy
- Encourage your patients to leave positive reviews on Google
- Host a wellness clinic
- Use Google Ads to increase traffic
- Sell local vendor items in your pharmacy
- Have a great indoor and outdoor design
- Partnering with the DMV or other long line businesses
- Get out to visit the prescriber offices!
- Think about dispensing virtually
- Dedicate the time to social media
1. Create a brand that builds trust in your patients.
No, this isn’t really a marketing strategy but before you start any marketing for your pharmacy you want to be sure you have a brand that patients and prescribers can trust. You want to clearly define your brand and here are some ways to do that.
- Define who you’re trying to reach through your marketing in the pharmacy
- Which services do you want to market? Example – Free Delivery
- Have a fresh and modern pharmacy logo
- Showcase your colours and logo throughout your pharmacy (walls, signage, etc)
Branding is a must for any pharmacy owner, especially when it comes to a patient’s medication. Patient trust plays a large role when it comes to their medication needs, be sure you have a brand they can trust. Google Reviews can be a great independent pharmacy marketing idea for your business in the long term.
Check out Clark’s Rx about page on their website. The owner Tim Clark took the time and effort to build his brand and it really paid off for his pharmacy chain.
2. Host a local community event at your pharmacy
A great way to support your local community and show patients you care is by hosting an event to promote awareness. For example: Since November is Diabetes Awareness month, why not host a local event to raise awareness for the disease?
The event doesn’t have to be inside your pharmacy. Try to host the event in your parking lot if you have one. That way you can invite local food trucks, ice cream or even radio stations to your event.
Try reaching out to other local businesses to try to cut the costs of your event. Make sure you have a budget and stay within your budget. Other local businesses are great marketing partners because they usually want to partner with other local businesses. This simple & creative pharmacy marketing idea can be a win win situation for all businesses involved.
What to focus on during the event:
- Patients come first. Give them the opportunity to know you and your staff. Be very personable because that is something they won’t see at a large chain pharmacy
- Raffles are always a great idea. Small items or local gift cards are good prizes. Try to stay within the community.
- Freebies of course. Think of pharmacy magnets, goody bags with coupons for over the counter items and other promotional items.
- Market your services. Be sure the patients know you do compounding for their pets or you do deliver for free to their neighbourhood
3. Encourage your patients to leave positive reviews on Google
Here’s a fact I’m sure we all can relate to: 72% of all customers will not take action until they have read reviews. Sound familiar? Reviews are powerful marketing tools that not only build trust but also help with your SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
You want to be sure your customers are leaving positive reviews on Google and any other social media website. This is called UGC or (User Generated Content) and it’s HUGE. Many popular brands use UGC to grow and market their business and so should you. Anytime someone mentions your business outside of your own marketing efforts it’s referred to as UGC. Do you want more independent pharmacy marketing ideas? Keep reading
Your job as a business owner is to promote this UGC everywhere you can. Here is an example:
I personally know this pharmacy owner and she does ask her patients and facilities to leave reviews. This pharmacy owner responded to the positive review about flu shots in a professional manner. It’s reviews like this that really build your brand and promote trust.
Maybe you already have some positive reviews, great! Now take the next step and promote those reviews online. An example:
The owner of Soleil Pharmacy took the exact same review and added it to her website. This is an example of taking advantage of UGC. Such pharmacy marketing ideas can really prove to be a boon in growing the business.
4. Host a wellness clinic
Education on various health topics is a great way to market your pharmacy. Usually, this is done after the pharmacy closes and people are off work, so after 5 pm. Wellness clinics are usually planned 2 months in advance.
Here are some tips when hosting a wellness or healthcare clinic:
- Stay local. Find local healthcare experts to attend or speak at the event.
- Try to plan a few clinics every year to stay consistent and build your brand.
- Provide small snacks and drinks if possible and make sure you have the space.
- If hosting in the pharmacy, be sure all PHI is NOT viewable
- Encourage your staff to attend
- Promote, promote and promote! Social media, community, website.. everywhere!
Probably the most important item to remember is to be flexible. Expect most changes to happen at the last minute. Understand that changes will happen, so be proactive to anticipate changes.
An example of a pharmacy that hosts wellness clinics is our client Desert Life Pharmacy. Owner Brianne Spaeth hosts wellness clinics in her pharmacy for her retirement community in Saddlebrook, Arizona. Check out her website that mentions her clinics on the bottom here.
5. Use Google Ads to increase traffic
Using Google Ads is a great way to grow your business. With Google Ads, you can create geotargeting ads. This means you can specifically target your community and only your community. Specifically targeting patients in your area can potentially increase your ROI (return on investment). Having your ads show only in your community is a great way to make sure you are not wasting your marketing dollars. This pharmacy advertising idea can do wonders for your business within the budget.
PharmacyLive offers this service to our clients. We work with you to develop a marketing plan and create Google Ads for you. We make sure you show up when someone is typing “Pharmacy” on Google Maps. Not only do we create ads for Google but also for Facebook and Instagram. Contact us today to learn more about this service.
6. Sell local vendor items in your pharmacy
An often overlooked marketing avenue is reaching out to local artists and vendors to carry their products. This shows your investment in the community you serve and helps build your brand. Oftentimes local vendors will come to you but if they aren’t, you need to reach out to them.
When you carry other vendor items it generates foot traffic and it’s a great reason to post on social media. Take a look at Klinger Pharmacy.
The vendor is actually marketing for the pharmacy. This is a great way to get free marketing, especially if you have empty shelf space in your OTC area. This independent pharmacy marketing idea can really help your brand in the long run.
Examples of vendors to partner with:
- Local artists
- Schools: Think t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats etc. with the school logo
- Local businesses and carrying some of their items
7. Have a great indoor and outdoor design
Upping your signage and design game could pay off depending on your community. Patients like a nice elegant design. Try to stay simple but make sure your signage clearly displays your services.
Outdoor signage should be clean and elegant. Try to really modernize the look of your storefront. Yes, signage can be expensive but if you’re on a busy street it may be worth it.
If your pharmacy is in a rural area make sure you don’t overdo your signage and storefront. Try to keep with the local hometown feel.
Indoor signage and display are important also. Some ideas for indoor signage include:
- TVs that display services or waiting lists – check out easyscreen.tv’s the digital pharmacy signage solution
- Drop off and pick up signs
- Aisle markers
- Coffee corners are great for waiting areas
8. Partnering with the DMV or other long line businesses
A really cool independent pharmacy marketing I saw recently; one of our client’s Clove Pharmacy partnering with the DMV to increase foot traffic. The partnership is a great idea. Instead of waiting in line at the DMV users can take their vision test at the pharmacy.
Check with your local DMV to see if this is an option in your city. I know this has generated a lot of foot traffic for Clove Pharmacy.
9. Get out to visit the prescriber offices!
Probably the best way to grow your pharmacy is to market yourself. If you are a pharmacy owner you should be planning weekly or monthly marketing days. These marketing days are reserved for you to go into doctors offices and sell your business. If you are a pharmacist, this makes a huge impression on the doctor’s staff. It really shows that you want their business by taking the time to visit them.
Don’t forget to bring a brochure or business card that explains your services. Having a good relationship with the prescribers in your area is essential. You may even want to consider bringing their staff bagels or sending them tasty treats every so often. These small gestures really go a long way in building strong relationships.
10. Think about dispensing virtually
Harness the power of online apps like Wellevate. Online platforms like Wellevate lets you keep in touch with your patients and also grow your pharmacy. You can talk to your patients and make recommendations for them through the Wellevate app. They don’t need to call into the pharmacy or be in the pharmacy to get your recommendations.
Pharmacy marketing doesn’t always have to be traditional marketing
Another cool thing about Wellevate is that you can recommend your patients certain OTC items and have them shipped directly to their door. The service does have a fee so make sure you take the time to see if this is right for your pharmacy.
Our last marketing method is Facebook. You probably already have a Facebook business page and hopefully, it’s updated weekly. Facebook just works for growing your business. The platform is designed to target specific demographics in your area, what more can you ask for?
The key to being successful with Facebook is posting organic and RELATIVE content. Nobody wants to read automated posts every day about random health topics or food recipes that you see from some pharmacies Facebook feeds. Make sure your posts are engaging and if you are able to use real pictures of your staff or yourself then use them! That’s what a pharmacy marketing is all about.
Also, consider boosting posts and creating ads on Facebook and Instagram. These ads are usually cost effective and work really well. PharmacyLive offers a social media management service here. We manage your Facebook page and Google keep the pages updated and running targeted ads. To learn more about this service please visit our social media service page.
Learning how to market your pharmacy is key to growing your business especially for people starting an independent pharmacy. The one downfall I see often is owners trying some of these techniques once and then give up, that simply will not work. Pharmacy Marketing is an ongoing process, it never ends. You need to consistently come up with new pharmacy marketing ideas / unique independent pharmacy advertising ideas. You need to dedicate time and money every year to your marketing strategy.
Some pharmacy marketing ideas/pharmacy advertising ideas can be implemented by yourself and for some, you can hire others to help you. If you think you need marketing ideas or someone to assist you, please contact us directly. We can help you with a plethora of services such as social media marketing with google, web designing, logo designing & a complete pharmacy package, especially for new pharmacy businesses.
About the author: My name is Josh Caskey and I am the owner of PharmacyLive. I personally have over 10+ years of experience in marketing and IT in the pharmacy industry. The ownership team of PharmacyLive are actual independent pharmacy owners ourselves. We at one point owned 16 pharmacies throughout the Midwest. We developed PharmacyLive to help other pharmacy owners grow their pharmacy through different marketing channels. Contact us to learn more about our pharmacy marketing services.
- Why Pharmacies Should Be Utilizing Social Media to Reach Patients
- A Pharmacy Marketing Plan for 2021
- How to Easily Build a Successful Marketing Strategy for your Pharmacy
- Pharmacy Website Design: 5 Tips To Create An Awesome Website Design in 2021
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the great way to market your pharmacy?
Hosting wellness is a great way to market your pharmacy. Here are some tips related to pharmacy marketing ideas when hosting wellness or a healthcare clinic:
1. Try to plan a few clinics every year to stay consistent and build your brand.
2. Provide small snacks and drinks if possible and make sure you have the space.
3. If hosting in the pharmacy, be sure all PHI is NOT viewable
4. Encourage your staff to attend
2. Which is the best pharmacy marketing idea to grow your business?
Using Google ads to increase traffic is one of the best pharmacy marketing ideas to grow your business. With Google Ads, you can create geotargeting ads. This means you can specifically target your community and only your community.
Having your ads show only in your community is a great way to make sure you are not wasting your marketing dollars.
3. Is marketing yourself the best way to grow your pharmacy?
Yes, it’s probably the best way to grow your pharmacy. If you are a pharmacy owner you should be planning weekly or monthly marketing days. These marketing days are reserved for you to go into doctors offices and sell your business.
If you are a pharmacist, this makes a huge impression on the doctor’s staff. It really shows that you want their business by taking the time to visit them.
4. How is Pharmacy Marketing helpful to doctors ?
Pharmacy marketing is currently the most comprehensive and organized information system that informs doctors on the accessibility and safety, effectiveness as well as the risks and methods of using medications.
5. Can my existing customers help in marketing my pharmacy?
Yes. You can ask your existing and loyal customers to recommend your pharmacy to others. This is indeed a great idea for businesses who cannot spend a fortune on marketing strategies. You can also ask your customers to leave a positive rating for you online for an extra marketing boost.
6. What kind of advertisements are the best option to reach local customers?
The best advertising method for local customers is by advertising physically. Flyers, and posters are a great option in this regard. However, as flyers and posters do not have the capacity to reach as many people as the internet can, you should also advertise your brand online simultaneously.